Of Calendars, Clocks, and Choices

I like the Jewish calendar. I like that their New Year begins in the spring. I think it would be easier to reflect on the past, to consider the future, and to make changes in the midst of the newness of spring. The middle of winter is just not a real motivating time for me, no matter what the calendar says! Too cold, not enough daylight, too many cloudy days!

I also think a new day should begin at sunset (like the Israelite calendar) or at sunrise. Why a new day begins in the middle of the night when only those of us who are night owls are awake to see it baffles me. And even though I have seen the beginnings of more new days than I really needed to, they still seem like part of the old day I'm about to finish.

But since I don't think we're going to change our calendar or our clock after so many years, I guess I'll just have to deal with it. The great thing is that every day is new with God. His mercies really are new every morning! And every evening! And even at midnight when I'm supposed to be asleep but am not! So even though I've messed up some of the goals (I don't do resolutions.) I've chosen for the year, I can start over today. Maybe I'll start with going to bed before midnight!

posted under |

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Who am I?

I a Jesus follower who is trying to teach my four girls at home and be a wife to my minister husband. I prefer reading to cleaning and have a crazy Border Collie and the world's best cat!

Followers


Recent Comments